Saturday, July 1, 2017

#NotInMyName

When these times shall pass
And these constant worries will cease
And when the dawn breaks,
It will not herald blood-soaked skies
At that time, mere regret will not suffice
A customary sorry will be a lip service
You might recall then, or may be not,
How the blood splashed day in, day out
You too had a stain on your fingernail, I swear to Facebook
Remember that, forever,
Whenever blood gives way to more blood

XXX

“He was in D.C. for three days.
He did not even say hello!”
A friend was telling,
“I would have told him, you know
how one might get asked these days
for a passport on random sunny days
You know they had stopped my car?
And did a pat down? It was a while ago
Should I be thankful that I am still alive and just let it go?
The other day I learned someone was arrested
No questions asked
And it was disorderly for him to ask why
Right here around the corner
No, he was not illegal, you know -
It seems that is law and order.
And did you hear about a guy who was shot,
because they thought he was an Arab?
Channels were blasting all day an info session on who is an Arab.
As if to ensure no one else will be mistaken for an Arab in future
Like that was really the point there.”

I sympathized with him,
But asked him if he would have also asked
What happened in Una,
Dadri and Saharanpur,
Mandsaur and Burhanpur
He took me to the side
And said in a hushed voice
“Be careful, there are many Bhakts here”
Huh! But so were you,
What has changed now?
“What can I say, friend,
I don't remember nothing, just my eyes being shut
There has not been a day without spine chills,
now that they have opened.”

Dude, what you can see,
You think others can’t?
In whose name this happens,
You really think they don't understand?

XXX

Let's not bother about progressives,
Call them frogressives and leave them aside
And the same for secular folks,
Call then sickular and leave them aside
Barring this tiny population,
every one else is pretty sensible
They are eagerly awaiting
the promised Ram-Rajya after all
May be you can appeal to them -
“Brethren, this is all for yourselves;
Join this mob, and liberate yourselves.”
Some may join, I won't be surprised
But, I am curios about those who may not join
What would you do to those folks
Those non-complying folks - non-frogressive and non-sickular
Would you hear them once before labeling them anti-national?
Each of them may embody that nameless, great woman -
Valya Koli* was her husband, she was mother to his children
Would those folks tell you what she had told Valya?
Literally, copy, paste, ditto same
At any cost, #NotInMyName

(*Story of how Valya became Valmiki appears at the beginning of the mythological epic Valmiki Ramayana. Valya, a theif and dacoit, once encounters the omnipresent Narada. Narada asks him why he steals and harms innocent people. He says he does that to feed his family and lead them into a prosperous life. Narada suggests that he confess to his family how he earns the living for family and ask them if they would be party to Valya's sins that he has committed while acquiring resources for their living. When asked, Valya's wife flatly refuses to be party to his sins and leaves him. Changed, Valya worships Rama in penance, and ultimately, comes to be known as Valmiki – the creator of a version Ramayana.)

No comments:

Post a Comment